A Brief History of Our Club

Subpages
Related Pages
Links
Files
Photo Albums
 

The Rotary Club of Sequim was organized in February 1930 with 19 members, and chartered by Rotary International on June 11th 1930 as Club #3338. 

Club members began serving the community by doing a variety of projects with Sequim High School. 

In 1960, we took on the job of organizing and staging the annual Irrigation Festival Parade and have continued to do so every year since.  The parade features marching bands and community floats as well as units from military, fraternal organizations, local businesses and charities from all over the Northwest.

Our first Salmon Bake fundraiser was held in 1969 to raise money for local and international Rotary projects. 

In 1970, Harry Brenn became the first District Governor from our club.  Cy Frick became the second District Governor from our club in 1980. 

Between 1976 and 1980, our club built and sold homes in the community with the participation of the Sequim High School Carpentry Class.  Profit from sales funded a number of local Rotary projects.

The club matched dollars with the public library system in 1980 to raise the money needed to build a new library building in Sequim.

In 1985, Club members became liberal supporters of the Rotary's Polio Plus campaign to eliminate polio worldwide.

In 1986, our club sponsored formation of Sequim Sunrise Rotary Club.   

In 1989, we sponsored formation of the Boys & Girls Club of Sequim which has grown to serve hundreds of children in both Sequim and Port Angeles today.

Our club started the annual Duck Race in 1990 when Club President Joe Hawe acquired all the permits to make it happen.  The race was originally held on the Dungeness River in conjunction with the Olympic Medical Center Foundation.  It has since moved to Port Angeles and become one of our club's biggest fundraisers.

Business women became active and productive members in our club in 1990.  Since then, seven women have served as president.